Expanding the Trust: Adding Digital Media to your Storytelling Toolbox
We work closely with land trusts across the United States to create substantive and innovative Digital Media communication packages. The 6 BASIC elements of the package we deliver are described below. All are generated from 2-3 consecutive fair weather days of shooting, following pre-production planning with you. Total fixed cost of package = $20,000. We do not "unbundle" the package, but do have some additional options. See below. In some cases, we can offer matching grant support. Please inquire about eligibilty by calling (207) 236 2078 or emailing Producer Halle Johns.
1. "Our Trust" This 5-minute-long OUR TRUST video will be a self-contained production that presents your story of your land trust and its mission. Interviews will succinctly cover mission, as well as convey the people involved with your land trust (staff, board, volunteers, community members- any “character” you see fit to include). If needed, succinct voice-over can supplement. Low altitude aerial footage will intercut with innovative 3D maps to define the terrain, as well as ground-based cinematography to convey signature features and details of the land. 3 to 4 fully licensed music cues will provide an emotional base, woven with natural synch sounds from your lands. Demo from Coastal Mountains Land Trust (CMLT).
2. "The Land" 3 to 15 minutes of aerial video is embedded in an interactive map with a key, highlighting the location, ownership status, features, topography (and many other options) of your trust’s land and features. People need to know: what does the land look like? where is the land? what is the status of each parcel? The flyovers include both high altitude contextual shots and low altitude detail shots. We travel over fields, around hills, along the edge of water features –even through the branches of old oaks and sugar maples. We can get close enough to see the scars on the bark of a beech tree. At the same time, we see the perspective and location of each shot on a map, dynamically and in real-time.
3. "Our Campaign" This 3-minute video tells the story of -and makes a compelling case for- a specific campaign or program of your land trust. Succinct voice-over narration, visuals, and music establish “what is at stake” and “the goal.” This video introduces a campaign or program, but is not an introduction to a land trust’s story ("Our Trust") or land ("Our Land"). Visuals will include aerials, 3D map sequence, and shots of people/wildlife/land & water features. The video will conclude with a specific call-to-action (i.e., donate money, volunteer time, share information, spread the word via clickable social share, etc.). Demo from CMLT.
4. Social Media Clips A selection of 15 pre-formatted video clips formatted for multi-platform social media use; making your land trust visible on these platforms. The clips are each 15 seconds to 1 minute in length, and formatted for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Email. Music will be added to as many as 5 clips. Text graphics can be added as well, per your direction. Suggested captions to accompany posting of videos can also be also included. Great for frequent and periodic social media outreach to your existing and prospective members. Demo from CMLT.
5. Raw Footage We deliver hard drives with ALL the original raw footage we shoot with you, in 4k Ultra High Definition format. This allows your land trust the DIY future-proof freedom to edit as you wish. You will have unrestricted use of all footage we shoot to reversion into new productions, in concert with other media-makers you may bring on, with new media content you generate, or with the Land Trust Alliance video DIY tutorials. The resolution is high enough that individual frame grabs are of sufficient pixel resolution (3,840 x 2,160) for some print uses.
6. Distribution & Analytics We provide a “best practice” guide. This will suggest effective platforms to use for your targeted audience, how often to promote videos, and other distribution & sharing tips. Using off-the-shelf Google Analytics tools, we also will provide recommendations for how to track the engagement of the viewers of your new digital storytelling “EXPANDING THE TRUST” package. This allows you the opportunity to assess the level of engagement of your members and constituency with your work and storytelling. What works well? What does not?
Additional options (priced on request) include: extra aerial sequences, map sequences, immersive 360 VR, and extra set of HD raw footage (1080x1920)
Contact us to learn about your land trust's eligibility for matching grants and how our Digital Media Package could work for you.